We ask all clients attending first appointments regardless of case type to bring proof of identification, proof of address and proof of income in compliance with Law Society and money laundering legislative requirements. Please bring the following documents with you to your first appointment.
Proof of Identification
Photographic proof in the form of current Passport, Driving Licence, Electoral Card or Student Card. You are required to provide this only once to the firm. If you do not have photographic identification please bring a birth certificate and medical card.
Proof of Address
Utility Bill or Bank Statement from last 3 months showing your current address. A fresh utility bill or bank statement is required if you have moved address since your last appointment with the firm.
Proof of Income/Benefits
Letter from Social Security Office confirming Benefit.
Bank Statement or Post Office Statement confirming receipt of Benefit from Social Security Office.
Legal Aid Eligibility Requirements
Your last 3 months Wage Slips or accounts if you are self-employed. These are required in order that we may assess your eligibility for legal aid for civil, family or criminal proceedings.
In the event that you are in receipt of state benefits please note that the following proofs are required by the Legal Services Agency Northern Ireland (LSANI) in order for your to achieve legal aid and must be obtained for your first consultation.
If you are eligible for legal aid for civil, criminal or family cases please note that you must bring the following proofs with you for your first consultation;
- Proof of a relevant legal aid benefit – ESA, Universal Credit, State Pension. This can be in the form of a letter of confirmation. Please note that PIP is not a relevant benefit as it is based on medical not income assessment.
- Bank statements for all accounts held in your name whether sole or joint accounts.
- A bank statement in your name, whether sole or joint, showing the receipt of your benefit up to the day before your appointment.
- Credit Union statements showing both savings and loans.
- Statements showing any ISA or any savings. You are required to provided evidence of all capital in order for us to apply for legal aid.
In order for the solicitor at your first appointment please note that these documents are essential to obtain legal aid to cover the first appointment and any subsequent work. Please ensure that you have all the documents with you in order to avoid disappointment if we have to reschedule the appointment.
If you have any queries regarding proof of benefit, address or income/benefit please contact our Orla McDonagh at our Reception for clarification.